Monday, November 2, 2009

Comfort Food Can Be Comforting, But Not Always Comfortable

Saturday night I craved spaghetti. I had a half a tin of anchovies. I melted these in a skillet, with some additional olive oil and then 4 minced garlic cloves. I picked fresh swiss chard from the garden, washed, chopped and steamed in the microwave. I then mixed the chard in with the oil and garlic while hubby, expert pasta cooker, cooked some angel hair. We topped with Panko bread crumbs. Very tasty.
You could skip anchovies and also substitute spinach for chard.

Sunday we had an appointment to get our pictures taken and thought we would try a new to us nearby restaurant for brunch. Being from Louisiana I was curious to see their take on "Cajun". Well, it tasted really good, and my husband kept asking me "How do they get it to taste so good?" "Sausage, honey. Fat. Butter. Oil. Cream".
We came home and slept for nearly two hours by this food-induced coma. Once you get used to a lower fat diet, that high-fat kind of food is no longer fun. It was just too much of a good thing. And we didn't even have dessert. Supper was matzo ball soup, made with unsalted matzo meal so I could control the amount of salt and a nice green salad. Truly comforting.

No comments:

Post a Comment