Wednesday, November 4, 2009

BACON!

Last time hubby visited the library, he picked up a Southern Living Cooking Light Cookbook for me. He got me one for Christmas last year, and not a lot appealed to me, but I have several little stickys in this one. (the 2006 edition) My take on:

Chicken with Cider and Bacon Sauce

4 4 oz. chicken breasts, pounded thin between two sheets of wax paper
salt and pepper to taste
hot sauce if desired
2 bacon slices - I used reduced fat
1/2 chopped onion
1/2 apple cider
1/2 fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth

Place bacon in skillet. Fry till crisp and remove. I used 40% reduced fat and nitrite and nitrate free I bought at Whole Foods. The dog got the bacon. Use the tablespoon of bacon fat to brown the chicken breasts on both sides, cooking about 6 minutes per side. Remove chicken. Add chopped onion, cook until soft. Turn heat to high, adding cider and broth and cook until reduced, about 5 minutes, then return chicken to pan.

I served this with fresh green beans and coleslaw.
I prepared the green beans in a new favorite way. Can't remember where I picked up the tip. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in skillet on medium high, add one chopped onion and 2 chopped garlic cloves. Add fresh green beans whose ends have been trimmed on top of onions and garlic. Do NOT stir. Turn heat down as low as possible and cover. Cook about 20 minutes, checking every now and then to make sure it is not burning. Salt and pepper before serving.
The coleslaw was kind of thrown together. I used my old Salad Shooter (anyone else still have one of those?) Fresh cabbage, 2 apples, 1 carrot, salt and pepper, and enough plain low-fat yogurt to desired consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment