Monday, January 18, 2010

Slight Detour Off the Straight and Narrow

After a very healthy dinner Sat. night of roasted pork tenderloin, speckled butterbeans (southern thing) and oven-fried green tomatoes (another southern thing), made detour off the path to weight loss righteousness. It has become something of a tradition to have snacky food during the premiere of "24" and we did. In keeping with trying to use up what's in the pantry and freezer, this is what I came up with.

Ro-Tel Dip with 2% Velvetta
Now, I know Velvetta is not real food, and I only buy a loaf once a year, it must be a winter blues kind of thing.
Black-eye Pea Dip. This sounds disgusting, but really, is good, and fiber is good for you. Remember, beans are our friends. 2 peeled garlic cloves in the food processor. One drained can of black-eye peas (I also rinse them to remove some salt), 3 oz. of fat-free cream cheese and hit of hot sauce. Process till smooth and bake at 400 till bubbly.
Little Smokies in BBQ sauce. I used Beef. You can buy Turkey ones with less fat, but they compensate that with way extra salt. As a once a year treat, I'll take the fat. My blood pressure thanks me if not my heart.
Breaded shrimp from the freezer. A convenience product I had not tried before. Sea Cuisine frozen fish is handy to have on hand and is tolerable in terms of fat and salt. The shrimp were tasty but I won't buy them again - a little greasy.
Cut-up Italian pork sausage link from a local source - very tasty.
Chips and crackers of course. Now, I did get some fiber, and some dairy, but I didn't need breakfast, and wasn't hungry till 1:00 pm the next day. But, we'll get back on the highway to a much better way.

No comments:

Post a Comment