Tuesday, February 7, 2012

How Can You Mess Up a Potato Chip?

Seriously? Two bad bags of chips in two weeks? How can you mess up a potato chip? With hubby counting his points, and sweet, not salty, being HIS downfall, he has generously passed on his bags of chips from two recent lunch and learns.
Now, you can't knock a free lunch and no lack of gratitude to the sponsors, but the chips were just inedible - and I LOVE salty snacks. What a disappointment. It had plenty of salt and plenty of fat but NO TASTE. And not stale, just didn't taste good. And no, I have not evolved into a creature who suddenly does not care for fat and salt. Please. The chips didn't even pass the dog test.
I'm always looking for a "healthy' salty snack. Right. I have tried (and will continue to try) to find a lower-salt, lower-fat snack that satisfies. Frito-Lay baked items are hit and miss - but the 110 calorie bag of mini-pretzels are good - and "only" 19% of the sodium I need for the day. Now that is what I'm talking about.
With cereals being on sale of late (what's with that?), I decided to try making my own chex party mix. Used a few mixed nuts, rice chex, wheat chex and some cheerios. Didn't use much Worcestershire. Uh, I ran out. How do you run out of that stuff? Some walnut oil for flavor instead of butter, and some southwest seasoning. Not only not bad, but good.  Got to put Worcestershire on the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment